Friday 29 May 2009

Feedback Friday :: Hecticity


bulk :: I reckon I've put on a stone since I arrived in Italy
cigarettes :: some, and I'm really pissed off about it - it really stinks up the breath
postcards bought :: 10
postcards sent :: 0
Italian women I have fallen in love with :: all of them


So I had planned to spend the 12 hours or so it was going to take to get to Palermo on the train writing up all that has happened in Rome, but because I left everything till the last minute, I have only just discovered that the train to Palermo is, for various reasons, no good. So I just booked a flight, leaving at noon tomorrow, which will mean leaving here around 8 to be absolutely sure of getting to the airport on time. It's all very hectic.

I'm going to a wedding by the way. An old friend is marrying a Sicilian lady. I haven't seen him for years and was very surprised to get an invite. Probably not as surprised as he was that I accepted. The invite came about a week before Morag moved out, so I thought, fuck it. Let's go somewhere I've never been.

There's an awful lot that can go wrong tomorrow though, and I'm slightly nervous. Especially as I've been told that no one in Sicily speaks English. In fact, I've been told that they barely speak Italian.

Rome is spectacular though, and I will get round to writing about it soon. I hope. But the next few days are going to be incredibly hectic.

In the meantime, here are some more pictures from Publication Day. I am very silly.















That last one's my favourite. They barely understood a word of what I was saying but they entered into the task with alacrity and aplomb. Bless them.

Now I should sleep, as at best I'll have six hours, but you know what I'm going to do instead? I'm going to watch the last episode of season four of The Wire. Get myself in a gangster frame of mind in preparation for Sicily.



Share on Facebook! Digg this

6 comments:

paperbatty said...

Great photos. Have fun, you and the little tyke (book).

Irene said...

The pictures are great. That's exactly what I'd do with my book. I don't like people who are falsely modest. I say, put it out there! I can't wait to hear about Sicily. I hope you have many adventures there.

Anonymous said...

I spent a few days in a tiny little Italian town where we were the only Americans and no one spoke English. Even though I had no idea what was going on, it was so much fun and there was some rudimentary communication ("Seinfeld!" "Homer Simpson!"). I think everyone speaks Italian in their hearts, so don't worry about it and have fun!
Jennifer
Portland, OR

PurestGreen said...

I like the photo of the book in the gallery, trying to fit in. I rushed home today thinking my copy may have arrived, but it's not here and I'm feeling sad. I was hoping to take it to the park tomorrow. Sigh. Soon. Soon the Royal Mail person will bring my book. Soon.

caroline said...

Fabulous photos, and it's a joy to read about all your adventures.The Series 3 dvd of The Wire is due to arrive in my letterbox sometime next week, and I can hardly wait.

Hectic is good - enjoy!

Some Chilean Woman said...

How did I miss this post? Well, it's brilliant. Thanks for making me smile, I needed that at work.